February Community Service- Master's in Pharmacology

This month all of my volunteer work came from tutoring college students in gross anatomy. I helped students study for their anatomy exams and review information pertinent to the class. This unit for anatomy was the back and leg of the human body. Though it is not dissected, anatomy students also learn about the spinal cord. This component is what is most relevant to the material we are learning in our Master’s of Pharmacology program right now. A lot of this unit and the last unit involve antipsychotics and other medications that focus on the brain and central nervous system. This unit is incredibly fascinating to me because of my background in neuroscience. I enjoy learning about neurological disorders as well how to treat them. The spinal cord, being the messenger of signals from the brain, is a major component of treating disorders that involve the central nervous system, such as Parkinson’s, Epilepsy, Huntington’s, and more.
In the coming months I look forward to continuing to volunteer with students in the anatomy undergraduate course. As we go through the body, more systems will be relevant to what we are learning and I will be able to visualize the areas of the body that I am treating. Alongside that I will volunteer with young students on a middle school debate team and help them prep for debates as well as judge those debates throughout the city of New Orleans. I have always enjoyed volunteering at speech and debate tournaments and helping young students learn what goes into preparation and becoming more comfortable with the idea of public speaking, which is such an important skill for people to have. 

Service Hours
January- 2
February 3
Total- 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Community Service

April Community Service- Master's in Pharmacology

January Community Service- Master's in Pharmacology