October Community Service

This month, my volunteer work consisted of experiences while being a Teaching Assistant at Tulane University in the Undergraduate Anatomy Cadaver Lab. In this lab, I help students through their dissections while testing them on material and helping them study for examinations. Alongside my work during class time, I held a review session where I set up a practice tag exam for all of the students to come get practice before their real test. It is a great experience to work with the students, especially because they are all as excited about the mateiral as I am. They are eager to learn and really look to me as a valuable resource to help them learn.
This unit we worked on the arms, chest, and axilla. The axilla was relevant to our pharmacology program because it includes a lot of nerves that innervate the entire arm, as well as the axillary artery and vein. The vein in the arm is often where drugs are injected via IV to rapidly enter blood circulation. We also dissected the median cubital vein, where blood is drawn and IVs are attached. The nerves in the left arm often get stimulated when patients are having a heart attack. Our next unit will be the abdomen and major organs. This unit will be very applicable to pharmacology as I will get to trace circulation and clearance of drugs through the liver and kidney. I will also help the students appreciate the GI system and how drugs can target it, and must bypass liver metabolism first.


Hours:
10/7 -- 2 hours
10/14 -- 2 hours
10/25 -- 3 hours
Total: 7 hours
Total thus far: 21 hours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Community Service- Master's in Pharmacology

April Community Service- Master's in Pharmacology