January Community Service- Master's in Pharmacology

This month my only volunteer work was tutoring a high school student in Chemistry. I tutored her for 2 hours in different subjects, such as intermolecular forces and equations revolving around Avogadro's number. Though these topics are not directly related to my Master's degree, it is always good for me to review my knowledge in core science topics as my graduate education often builds on these fundamental topics. Alongside the opportunity to review some fundamental topics in chemistry, I thoroughly enjoy tutoring. I have been tutoring math and science since I was in high school, when I would tutor my peers in different subjects. In college I tutored high school students and I tutored at KIPP Believe Primary school, a school for students in underserved communities. I loved tutoring at KIPP because I felt as though I was really helping students and taking the time to focus on their difficulties, which is something not many other people have taken the time to do. It is important to help students (and eventually patients) in underserved areas because they are often the ones that need it the most. I fully intend to carry this philosophy into my years as a physician.

This unit in class has been very engaging. As a neuroscience major at Tulane, I am really fascinated by neurological disorders, their pathology, research, and treatment. It is important to also learn about the research revolving treatment of these neurological disorders. This is because several neurological disorders often don't have a cure yet, and a lot of research is going into finding a cure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Community Service

April Community Service- Master's in Pharmacology